Friday, March 18, 2011

Reality- is this really real?

I've been asked to lay down my life, to pick up my cross, and follow Him. To walk out on the raging waves on the night sea and keep my eyes on Jesus so that I don't sink.
This stuff is easy to talk about, think about, but i'm not saying that's what God is calling us to do. He doesn't want us to sit around on our butts and talk about picking up the cross, loving nobody more than Him and doing whatever He tells us to. Not because He's mean, but because He is worthy. HE IS WORTHY of my life. When I become afraid at night, thinking that demons are surrounding me to tear me apart, I remember how Jesus fell asleep during a storm. His disciples were FREAKING OUT kinda like I do sometimes at night... Jesus was astonished at their lack of faith and rebuked the waves. Rebuked waves. Ok, pause. "Selah", is how the psalms puts it; stop what you're doing and think about that. Jesus rebuked waves.
Do you believe it? Do you believe you have power to tread on poisonous snakes? To rebuke demons? To move mountains? To walk on crashing waves? To lay hands on the sick and heal them? This is a reality, and yes, it's really real.
Let's see what Jesus said about it.
"And Jesus said unto them, 'I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
"Behold I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpians , and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
"Not with standing in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice that your names are written in heaven.'" John 10:18-20
If we believe that our names are WRITTEN IN HEAVEN why are we living like we're going through hell? I often moan and complain and gossip and gripe- whyyyyyyy am I even dwelling on those things? What about my eternal purpose? Jesus stood for me, rebuked Satan to his face for my sake, (and yours) so why am I not doing something in return? Should I not be OVERWHELMED with love for my Savior? Should I not be constrained by compassion to reach out to those who have been blinded by Satan? Should my heart not leap for joy at the voice of my God and Redeemer calling me to lay down my life, pick up my cross and follow Him? To think that He would love me enough to call me; why am I scared and apprehensive to follow the only One who has ever loved me perfectly?
In simpler words, God has loosed my chains; how selfish of me to not tell the other captives that those chains they're wearing have been broken by a God who loves them deeply and passionately.
It's easy to get caught up in the mundane day-to-day tasks of household chores, work and or school... God is challenging my heart to put those things second to the call He has placed on my life. After all, He is worthy.

1 comment: