Saturday, January 7, 2012

overwhelmed

I stayed up til 2am last night, took a Tylenol PM around 1am. I have so much on my mind that I couldn't sleep. (I know melatonin would help but I don't have money for gas and diapers... or rent or bills or anything, until i get my grant, which is only a few weeks away.)
Here's why i am overwhelmed:
I have to decide where I'm moving to by Monday when I submit my HUD (housing assistance) application. Originally I was going to move to Portland to attend OIT and obtain my associates degree in dental hygiene. For those of you who read my last post you know that I didn't have peace about Portland. My roommate Brenna suggested I move with her to Washington and finish my associates degree there. I have family and some friends in Spokane so I decided to look into it. What I discovered is that all of the colleges in Washington only offer a 4-year bachelors degree in dental hygiene and one of my friends who works at a dental office informed me that they only hire dental hygienists with a bachelor. Spokane is out of the question, I would not receive housing assistance, I would have to pay university tuition and out of state tuition. Now I just have to figure out what to do about this whole bachelor degree thing... do I stay in school another four years? Probably more because all of the prerequisites are completely different than the ones I was taking to transfer to OIT. Or do I pick a different degree and stay in Bend? If I pick another degree I will most likely have to submit an appeal because any technician (radiology tech, ultrasound tech, etc.) degree would have a lower credit limit than the amount of credits I have already taken. I stayed up praying, crying, thanking God for letting me find out about needing a bachelor degree now instead of AFTER wasting two years earning an associates. I will probably stay in Bend and settle for a technician job. I am so disappointed and frustrated. It won't pay nearly as much, but it'll be better than what I'm making now with college grants and loans.
Quite frankly, I am sick of acquiring more and more debt- I want to finish school and start paying all of it off. I'm done. I feel like I've given up. I had such huge dreams and I feel deflated; like all of my effort and good grades don't mean squat. This term is going to be difficult and chances are for a technician degree, I won't need chemistry or sociology. that's 8 credits I could've used for something else... oh well. I'm going to finish up this term and use it to figure out what to do next. This means I won't be moving anywhere... there's no reason to. Which, I suppose, is an answer to prayer. It is far from what I was expecting but God knows what's best for Dominic and me.
Thank you all for your love and prayers...

No comments:

Post a Comment